Monday, August 30, 2010

August 30, 2010

City Hall
Market Street & East Penn Square
Philadelphia, PA



“Miss, Miss, Miss, Miss, Miss, Miss!!” It’s like the repetitive chant reminiscent of such a young child crying out to a parent. “Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom, MOMMMMM!” Except in this situation there were no children anywhere to be seen, just City hall, Suits, a homeless man and myself. “Miss, Miss, Miss…” I turn to look at him. He’s wearing a brown jacket, florescent orange hat, a cup of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee; at least I think its coffee, no telling what’s inside really. I look at him; his brown eyes are childlike staring back at me. He opens his mouth, “Hi…”

Philadelphia is quite the city and the people are quite a diverse mix. Like any large city, you always have to have your guard up. Unfortunately, as much as I’d like to help everyone on the streets, you mostly have to walk away when encountering the homeless here. There’s no telling what someone in such a desperate situation will do to you. Some are harmless; some may rob you or assault you or even worse.

This man, “Hi…” caught me completely off guard. “Hello.” I responded. That was it and nothing more. It was just an exchange of Hello’s. I wish I had smiled but I didn’t. I would smile back to him now if I could. I’m smiling right now.

No comments: